Are you pressed for time and haven’t started working on your assignment yet? Would you like to buy an assignment? Use our custom writing services for better grades. Even if your deadline is approaching fast, our writers can handle your task right when you need it.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Late Medieval Italy Video Lectures Overview:
Italo Byzantine Style and St. Francis:
Cimabue and Giotto:
International Gothic Style:
Late Medieval Italy Homework
Now that you have listened to lecture, done your reading, and reviewed the study questions, it is time to submit homework!
Choose any 2 of the study questions to complete for homework.
Formulate a complete paragraph for each of your 2 questions (8-10 sentences)
ALL QUESTIONS BELOW CHOOSE ONLY 2 (8-10 sentences)
- What is the definition of art?
- Explain the philosophy of humanism. How is this style exemplified by Greek and Roman sculpture? Attach a Greek and/or Roman image of your choosing and discuss in your response. How did this worldview change during the Middle Ages? Attach an image from the Middle Ages and likewise discuss in your response.
- Identify the Byzantine traits of the Middle Ages seen in this work: Madonna Enthroned, 1290 CE:
- Analyze the Byzantine and Early Renaissance traits found in this work attributed to Cimabue’s Madonna and Child.:
- Below is the back of the Maesta Altarpiece by Duccio. Choose one of the many images (you may want to get a better view through an internet search) and discuss the following: Where do you see both Byzantine and early Renaissance traits? Why is there more naturalism in the images found on the back of the Maesta altarpiece compared to the front?
- What are the traits of the International Gothic Style? What two styles does it bring together and how did it become “International.” Use the image below in your discussion of the style.
- Watch the attached video on the secular works of Lorenzetti in the Palazzo Pubblico in Sienna (Links to an external site.). What was the purpose of these frescoes? What kind of iconography reminds the viewer of the power of Sienna and warns against corruption? How is space created in this work?
- What are the qualities of early Renaissance architecture? How do these traits differ from the proceeding Gothic period? How are these qualities a reflection of a humanistic worldview?
Key terms to study:
Greco-Roman antiquity/Classical antiquity
Italo-Byzantine style/Maniera Greca
Hierarchical proportioning/Hieratic scale
International Gothic Style