Are you pressed for time and haven’t started working on your assignment yet? Would you like to buy an assignment? Use our custom writing services for better grades. Even if your deadline is approaching fast, our writers can handle your task right when you need it.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Given that each health care system and facility faces unique site-specific risk challenges, a one-size-fits-all model does not exist in risk management. Health care managers must consider all aspects of their setting very carefully in terms of patient safety, mandatory regulations, potential medical errors in the setting, existing and future policies/procedures, as well as current and upcoming legislative acts that affect health care provision in the setting.
This module’s Case Assignment challenges you to locate and read an existing risk management and patient safety plan of a facility of your choice, and then assess its components in light of the background readings.
Using the information in the required readings as well as some additional research in peer-reviewed sources, complete your Case Assignment by answering the following:
- Choose a health care facility (hospital, physician’s office, freestanding ambulatory clinic, etc.), and summarize each category of its risk management and patient safety plan. This can be your current or future-intended setting, or a facility that you locate through some research online. What is defined/included in the components of the plan? Who are the stakeholders responsible for the implementation of each component?
- Are the directives stated by the American Society for Health Care Risk Management followed in the plan? If not, what seems to be missing?
- What could be added/clarified in the plan’s policies and/or procedures to either further prevent risk or enhance patient safety? Be as specific as you can in your assessment.
- Does the facility have a dedicated Patient Safety Officer (PSO)? What is the role and scope of a PSO’s daily work?
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to support your analysis.
- Provide a response of 3-5 pages, not including title page and references
- As we have multiple required items to be addressed herein, please use subheadings to show where you’re responding to each required item and to ensure that none are omitted.
- Support your paper with peer-reviewed articles and reliable sources. Use at least three peer-reviewed sources. For additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals, see:
Angelo State University Library. (n.d.). Library Guides: How to recognize peer-reviewed (refereed) journals. Retrieved from https://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php
and for evaluating internet sources:
Georgetown University Library. (n.d.). Evaluating internet resources. Retrieved from https://www.library.georgetown.edu/tutorials/research-guides/evaluating-internet-content
- You may use the following source to assist in your formatting your assignment:
Purdue Online Writing Lab. (n.d.). General APA guidelines. Retrieved from https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/.
- Paraphrase all source information into your own words carefully, and use in-text citations.
American Society for Health Care Risk Management. (2019). Different roles, same goal: Risk and quality management partnering for patient safety. Available at https://www.ashrm.org/sites/default/files/ashrm/Monograph.07RiskQuality.pdf
American Society for Health Care Risk Management. (2019). Healthcare risk management: The path forward. Available at https://www.ashrm.org/sites/default/files/ashrm/Executive-Summary_Risks-Rewards-Healthcare-Reform_FINAL2.pdf
American Society for Health Care Risk Management. (2019). The growing role of the patient safety officer: Implications for risk managers. Available at https://www.ashrm.org/sites/default/files/ashrm/Monograph.PSO.pdf
Burke, J. & Green, C. (2016, October 6). Risk management 101 for healthcare providers [Video file]. Available at https://youtu.be/okTeoHYRqMc
Escher, C. & Alton, G. (2016, June 27). Managing healthcare risk [Video file]. Available at https://youtu.be/3kqsTxTa1ow
Guler, P. H. (2017). Patient experience: A critical indicator of healthcare performance.
Frontiers of Health Services Management, 33(3), 17-29. Retrieved from the Trident Online
Santa, R., Borrero, S., Ferrer, M., & Gherissi, D. (2018). Fostering a healthcare sector
quality and safety culture. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, 31(7),
776-80. Retrieved from the Trident Online Library.
Read Chapter 8, pp. 125-141, in:
Spath, P., & Kelly, D. (2017). Applying quality management in healthcare: A systems
approach (4th ed.). Health Administration Press. Retrieved from the
Trident Online Library.
Strickler, S., Gupta, R. R., Doucette, J. T., & Kohli-Seth, R. (2018). A quality assurance
investigation of CLABSI events: Are there exceptions to never? Journal of Infection