Produce a report for the Respiratory Function (BioPac Lab 12)from the manual. I am
providing you an outline, but your report should be in nonnumeric, paragraph form.
1. Write an Introduction Section (2 or 3 paragraphs). A brief overview of the lung volume
and capacities. Common values which can be either directly measured or calculated
should be included. Also make sure to include information about factors which can
influence these values (age, height, etc).
2. Methods. Write 2-3 paragraphs which give an overview of how you did your experiment.
Did you alter any of the lab procedures? Did you encounter any problems?
Make sure to include a paragraph describing your test subjects. How are they similar and
how are they different?
Results. Report your observed values and calculate as many of the lung function values
as possible for each of your test subjects. The spreadsheet with lab data is posted on
Canvas. The volumes were determined by highlighting regions of your graphical data in
BioPac (using P-P or Delta). Observed Vital Capacity was determined by highlighting
the maximum and minimum points during the data recording (Top of IRV and Bottom
of ERV and noting the P-P or Delta). Calculated Vital Capacity was determined by
adding TV+IRV+ERV. Predicted Vital Capacity was determined by using the formula
for either male or female listed in the lab manual.
3. Include a table which summarizes the data. The table should include lung volumes and
capacities as rows and male and female as columns. Make sure to state the means as
well as the range (high-low).
4. Summary (3-4 paragraphs) Write a short summary discussing the actual results of your
experiment. Refer to your table and point out any important data. If your actual
experimental results did not match your expected results, write a paragraph suggesting
one reason your actual results might have been different from the expected results.
5. Make sure to include four graphs for TV, IRV, ERV, OBS VC