Assignment due date is 12/6/19 at 11:59PM
Interview someone with a career closely linked to what you have chosen as a career for yourself. This assignment must be in essay format, typed, double spaced and needs to be 2 pages minimum. The assignment is worth 25 points.
Do not be afraid to ask people about their career. Most people enjoy talking about their careers. It makes most adults feel good that young people are eager and interested in learning about what they do. If possible get input from more than one person for each career of interest. This avoids the risk of screening out a career due to tainted feedback from an adult that is â€œHaving a particularly good or bad dayâ€.
Here are some questions you may use for your interview:
- How and why did you choose this career?
- What is a typical â€œDay in Your Work Lifeâ€ like?
- What are the most and least rewarding aspects of your job?
- What are the working conditions like (Stress, Pace, Physical Comfort, Travel, Environment, Relocation, Hours, Routine vs. Crisis, etc.)?
- What education requirements, college degrees, licenses are needed for your career? What colleges do you recommend for pursuing an education leading to this occupation?
- What are the most important skills and abilities required (Creativity, Emotional Distancing, Emotional Involvement, Language/Communication, Manual Dexterity, Leadership, Physical Ability, Persistence, Social Skills, Time Management, Logic/Reasoning, Negotiation, etc.)?
- What high school and college courses have you found to be most applicable/important for your occupation?
- Would you choose this career if you could make the decision again? What (if anything) would you do differently?
- What do you wish you knew (but didnâ€™t) when you first contemplated this career?
- What are the best opportunities for someone entering into your career?
- Are there any trends (e.g. demographic, social, legal) that concern you? Any trends that will make this career choice more or less attractive in the future?
- What is the outlook for this career? Is there a shortage or oversupply of people in this career today?
- Does this career involving living in one community all of your life or moving to different cities/states/countries every couple of years?
- Does this career provide the opportunity to balance time between work and family?
- How much money does this career provide at the entry level? After you work for 10 yrs.? Maximum potential for most talented/experience people? How much of the $$ is usually base, bonus (performance driven), profit sharing, stock/partnership ownership, etc.?
- What are some related careers that I should consider?
- Any â€œwords of adviceâ€?
- Where can I find more information about this career (i.e., Associations, on-line)?