Are you pressed for time and haven’t started working on your assignment yet? Would you like to buy an assignment? Use our custom writing services for better grades. Even if your deadline is approaching fast, our writers can handle your task right when you need it.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
3-1 Discussion: Judging Ourselves, Judging Others
By now, you are beginning to learn more about biases and stereotypes. In many cases, these overgeneralized beliefs are not part of our conscious awareness. In fact, most of the implicit biases that we acquire are by-products of our environmental context and lived experience. For this discussion, you will explore the role of human nature in the formation of bias and the ways in which bias can impact group relations.
First, title your post “Judging Ourselves, Judging Others.”
For your initial post, review the video We All Have Implicit Biases and respond to the following:
- In your own words, how would you define implicit bias?
- It seems that everyone is biased in one way or another. Is bias a product of human nature? Why or why not?
- What is the role of positive and negative stereotypes in group relations?
- Identify a population for which you have a positive stereotype and describe the stereotype (e.g., all Canadians are nice and polite). How could having a positive stereotype generate a negative reaction from a person of that in-group?
How does the concept of stereotypes apply to any of the following programmatic course themes:
- Social justice
- Emotional intelligence
- Career connections
Remember to respond to two peers while being respectful of and sensitive to their viewpoints. Consider advancing the discussion in the following ways:
- Post an article, video, or visual related to bias or stereotype to reinforce a peer’s idea or challenge them to see their point from a different perspective.
- Paraphrase something from the original post. Then consider asking a question or sharing your personal experience.
To complete this assignment, review the Psychology Discussion Rubric.