Are you pressed for time and haven’t started working on your assignment yet? Would you like to buy an assignment? Use our custom writing services for better grades. Even if your deadline is approaching fast, our writers can handle your task right when you need it.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Purpose: This discussion will start your close reading and analysis process of one of the poetry selections in this Unit and help prepare you for the Unit 2 Poetry Analysis Essay.
For this discussion, you will practice conducting a close reading of a poem for this unit.
- Read the poem carefully.
- Explain what you find intriguing about it. Note the elements of the poem that are most interesting to you, using the vocabulary learned in this unit: speaker, stanza, end rhyme, etc.
- Include at least one quotation from the poem; be sure to deliver it with a signal phrase and to punctuate it properly.
- Next, suggest which one (or more) of the four modes of poetry analysis—aural, visual, symbolic, or thematic—can be said to drive the poem and why you believe this is true.
Criteria on which you will be graded:
- Demonstration of your understanding of the reading
- Level of idea development
- The quality of your writing, including grammar, logic, and transition
- Timeliness of your post
BY DOROTHY PARKER
The ladies men admire, I’ve heard,
Would shudder at a wicked word.
Their candle gives a single light;
They’d rather stay at home at night.
They do not keep awake till three,
Nor read erotic poetry.
They never sanction the impure,
Nor recognize an overture.
They shrink from powders and from paints …
So far, I’ve had no complaints.